Practical and cost effective advice is provided on the management of Naturally Occurring Radioactive Materials (NORM) associated with the following industries:
- Uranium and thorium ores exploration, mining and processing,
- Titanium and zirconium minerals (mineral sands) mining and processing,
- Transport of bulk commodities including international shipments,
- Oil and gas exploration and production,
- Mining and processing of metals (copper, tin, aluminium, niobium, tantalum),
- Coal mining and electricity generation,
- Iron and steel production,
- Water treatment and geothermal energy generation,
- Phosphate industry,
- Scrap metal recycling.
Practical help and solutions
Calytrix Consulting provides practical help and solutions to problems relating to:
- Transport and trade in commodities containing NORM,
- Development of regulations, guidelines, policies, procedures and radiation management plans,
- Statutory compliance – auditing and advice,
- Environmental impact assessments and risk assessments in different areas of occupational hygiene,
- Design and audit of radiation management systems and monitoring programs,
- Contaminated land investigations,
- Waste management and supervision of remediation projects,
- Determination of pathways of radiation exposure in specific situations – both for the environment and for workers and the public,
- Modelling of potential radiation exposures,
- Compliance testing of industrial radiation gauges,
- Noise measurements and management.
Calytrix Consulting provides services in the field of environment, workplace and personal monitoring and assessment of:
- Airborne dust, in accordance with Australian Standard AS 3640:2004,
- Alpha-activity concentrations in airborne dust, using Canberra alpha spectrometers (model 7401),
- Particle size analysis of airborne dust (Activity Median Aerodynamic Diameter – AMAD), using a personal cascade impactor,
- Concentrations of radon (Rn-222) and thoron (Rn-220) in the atmosphere,
- Gamma radiation levels, using Radiation Alert Inspector area monitor together with Garmin Global Positioning System receiver (model GPS60) and Canary II (model 4080) personal electronic dosimeters,
- Surface contamination measurements,
- Field gamma spectrometry and identification of individual radionuclides, particularly in cases of monitoring cargo in ports and at border crossings, using Exploranium GR-135-Plus ‘Identifier' instrument.
All equipment used by Calytrix Consulting is less than three years old and it is maintained in accordance with manufacturer specifications and calibrated as required by relevant regulations and guidelines. Close liaison with quality assured analytical laboratories also allows a comprehensive service to be provided in the following areas:
- Determination of concentrations of radionuclides in water, soil, dust, building materials, food, flora and fauna,
- Personal gamma radiation and radon monitoring,
- Analysis of workplace and environmental samples for different contaminants such as asbestos, welding fumes and different chemicals.
An expert witness service is also provided, specialising in radiation protection – particularly in relation to the Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material.
Off-the-shelf training courses are not provided by Calytrix Consulting. If a need for the training is identified it is done by personal tutoring of individual employee(s) in a workplace. If, however, there is a need for a training course or a community education program - a customised program is individually designed in each case addressing the particular needs of the client.