Practical and cost effective advice is provided on the management of Naturally Occurring Radioactive Materials (NORM) associated with the following industries:
- Uranium and thorium ores exploration, mining and processing,
- Rare earths, titanium and zirconium minerals mining
- Transport of bulk minerals and containers, including international shipments,
- Oil and gas exploration and production,
- Mining and processing of metals (copper, tin, aluminium, lithium, niobium, tantalum),
- Coal mining and electricity generation,
- Iron and steel production,
- Water treatment and geothermal energy generation,
- Phosphate industry,
- Scrap metal recycling.
Practical help and solutions
Calytrix Consulting provides practical help and solutions to problems relating to:
- Transport and trade in commodities containing NORM,
- Development of policies, regulations, guidelines, radiation
management plans and procedures,
- Statutory compliance: auditing and advice,
- Environmental impact and radiation impact assessments,
- Design and audit of radiation management systems and monitoring programs,
- Contaminated land investigations,
- Waste management and advice on remediation projects,
- Determination of pathways of radiation exposure in specific situations, for the environment, workers and the public,
- Modelling of potential radiation exposures,
- Compliance testing of industrial radiation gauges.
Calytrix Consulting provides services in the field of environment, workplace and personal monitoring and assessment of:
- Alpha-activity concentrations in airborne dust, using Canberra alpha spectrometers (model 7401), taking dust samles is also possible,
- Particle size analysis of airborne dust (Activity Median Aerodynamic Diameter, AMAD), using a personal 5- or 7-stage cascade impactor,
- Concentrations of radon (Rn-222) and thoron (Rn-220) in the atmosphere and in water, using SARAD-1688 electronic monitor,
- Gamma radiation levels, using RadEye B20, RadEye SPRD area monitors and Colibri TTC GPS monitor together with Garmin Global Positioning System receiver and Canary II (model 4080) personal electronic dosimeters,
- Surface contamination measurements, using RayEye B20 and SAB-100 probe with the Colibri TTC GPS monitor
- Field gamma spectrometry and identification of individual radionuclides, particularly in cases of monitoring cargo in ports and at border crossings, using Exploranium GR-135-Plus 'Identifier' and RadEye SPRD instruments.
All equipment used by Calytrix Consulting is maintained in accordance with manufacturer specifications
and calibrated as required by relevant regulations and guidelines.
Close liaison with quality assured analytical laboratories also
allows a comprehensive service to be provided in the following
- Determination of concentrations of radionuclides in water, soil, dust, building materials, food, flora and fauna,
- Personal gamma radiation and radon/thoron area monitoring.
Training of Radiation Safety Officers and other services
An expert witness service is also provided, specialising in radiation protection, particularly in relation to the Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material.
The 5-day Advanced Radiation Safety Officer for NORM is currently being assessed by regulatory authorities and will be vailable in the second half of the year 2022.
If a need for the training is identified, it may also be carried out by personal tutoring of individual employee(s) in a workplace.
If there is a need for a training course or a community education program, customised materials are individually designed in each case, addressing the needs of the client.